Manuel Kretzer (June 19th, 9:00 am)
Dr. Sc. ETH Zurich Manuel Kretzer is currently visiting professor at the Braunschweig University of Art, teaching the subject ‘Digital Crafting’ as well as
Studio Master at the International Architecture Graduate School at the Bauhaus in Dessau. Manuel is the founder of the ‘materiability research network’
(www.materiability.com), an educational platform that provides open access to cutting edge new material developments and technologies. He is also founding
partner of ‘responsive design studio’ (www.responsivedesign.de) based in Cologne, a design office that works on various scales, including architecture,
interior architecture, landscape architecture, furniture and object design. From 2010 until 2015 he taught at the Chair for Computer Aided Architectural Design,
ETH Zurich, where he finished his doctoral degree, focusing on smart materials and adaptive architecture, in early 2016. He previously worked with Philip Beesley
in Toronto, Canada, and taught seminars in experimental architecture at the University of Karlsruhe.
- Manuel Kretzer, Information Materials: Smart Materials for Adaptive Architecture. Berlin: Springer Science+Business Media, 2016. ISBN: 978-3-319-35150-6.
- Manuel Kretzer and Ludger Hovestadt (Eds.), Alive: Advancements in Adaptive Architecture. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2014. ISBN: 978-3-99043-667-7.
- Manuel Kretzer and Hans Sachs, The Cone - interactive architecture for Burning Man. Hamburg: Der Ausnahmeverlag, 2008.
Recent Book Contributions
- M. Kretzer, A. Markopoulou, and S. A. Nielsen, “Dynamics in Extreme Environments,” in Interactive Futures, Ed. Neil Leach, Philip Yuan (Shanghai: Tongji University Press, to be released fall 2016).
- Manuel Kretzer, “ShapeShift” in IA: Pioneering an Adaptive World, ed. Michael Fox (New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2016), 140-145. ISBN: 978-1616894061.
Manuel Kretzer, “Spaces of Adaptivity: Thoughts on the Relationship of Life and Architecture,” in Alive: Advancements in Adaptive Architecture, ed. Manuel Kretzer and Ludger Hovestadt (Basel: Birkhäuser, 2014), 16-24. ISBN: 978-3-99043-667-7.
- Manuel Kretzer, “Beyond Performance,” in Alive: Advancements in Adaptive Architecture, ed. Manuel Kretzer and Ludger Hovestadt (Basel: Birkhäuser, 2014), 72-77. ISBN: 978-3-99043-667-7.
Manuel Kretzer and Ruairi Glynn, “Material Animation,” in Performative Materials in Architecture and Design, ed. Rashida Ng and Sneha Patel (Bristol: Intellect Ltd, 2013), 35. ISBN-13: 978-1841506494.
- Manuel Kretzer. “Educating Smart Materials.” Cuadernos del Centro de Estudios de Diseño y Comunicación No 61, special issue: Diffuse Materiality. Design Practices and Trends (2016): ??. ISSN: 1668-0227.
- Manuel Kretzer. “Adaptive Materialität.” Architektur Aktuell, Ausgabe 9/2016 (2016): 186. ISSN: 0570-6602.
- Manuel Kretzer. “Why so serious?” Ehituskunst #57: What do you want, Brick? (2015): 42-51. ISBN: 978-9949-467-62-4.
- Manuel Kretzer and Dino Rossi. “Shapeshift.“ Leonardo 45, Issue 5 (2012): 480f. ISSN: 0024094X.
Recent Conference Papers
Manuel Kretzer, “Materials in the Anthropocene,” in What’s the Matter? Materiality and Materialism at the Age of Computation, ed. Maria Voyatzaki (European Network of Heads of Schools of Architecture, Dec. 2014), 499-512. ISBN: 978-960-89320-6-7. (peer reviewed)
Manuel Kretzer, “Architecture in the era of accelerating change,” in ACADIA 2014: Design Agency. Proceedings of the 34rd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, ed. David Gerber, Alvin Huang, Jose Sanchez (Los Angeles: University of Southern California, Oct. 2014), 463-472. ISBN 978-1-926724-47-8. (peer reviewed)
Manuel Kretzer, Andrea Minuto, and Anton Nijholt, “Smart Material Interfaces: Another Step to a Material Future,” in Proceedings ICMI’13: 15th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, 9-13 Dec. 2013 (Sydney: ACM, Sheridan, Dec. 2013), 611-612. ISBN: 978-1450321297.
Manuel Kretzer, Jessica In, Joel Letkemann, and Tomasz Jaskiewicz, “Resinance: a (smart) material ecology,” in ACADIA 2013: Adaptive Architecture. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, ed. Philip Beesley, Omar Khan, and Michael Stacey (Cambridge: University of Waterloo, Oct. 2013), 137-146. ISBN: 978-1926724225. (peer reviewed)